Michael H. Coleman Youth of the Year Award
Named after Michael H. Coleman, a young Hanover Park resident who passed away in 2011, this scholarship program is designed to recognize and encourage excellence in the young people of Hanover Park. Students are judged on academic initiative, career initiative, leadership initiative and community initiative. Each year, a high school senior is selected as the Hanover Park "Youth of the Year." Download the brochure (PDF) and application (PDF) for the 2017 to 2018 Michael H. Coleman Youth of the Year Scholarship. The application deadline has now passed.
The Youth of the Year Scholarship was established by the Village of Hanover Park to honor and recognize the contributions of graduating high school students who reside in Hanover Park. Each year, Hanover Park high school seniors are invited to participate in this program. Although considered, academics are secondary to the student’s involvement in serving the Hanover Park community. The Village knows there are several ways in which youth are involved in improving both themselves and the Village of Hanover Park and acknowledge those achievements by awarding a $1,000 Scholarship and three $500 runner up scholarships.
- Academic Initiative: Student's initiative to excel academically through GPA, course load, AP/Honor Roll classes, etc.
- Career Initiative: Student's initiative towards career goals.
- Community Initiative: Student's initiative towards having a direct impact to the Village of Hanover Park.
- Leadership Initiative: Student's initiative towards taking responsibility to take charge on projects or leadership roles.
Letter of Recommendation
Include one letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, employer, etc. The letter may not be submitted by family members.
To qualify, the student must:
- Be a resident of the Village of Hanover Park
- Be a member of the graduating class of 2018
- Plan to continue their education at a university, community college, or technical school
Return the completed application, essay and letter of recommendation to:
Village of Hanover Park
Youth of the Year Scholarship
Attention: Sue Krauser
2121 Lake Street
Hanover Park, IL 60133
The application deadline has now passed. Watch our website later in the year for details on the 2018 Youth of the Year!